This year for Lent I set a goal to give up between meal snacking. Since then I have modified to to just eliminate non-fruit or raw vegetable snacking. Sometimes, especially after some exercise, my body is craving something to refuel. Other times, though, it is just about boredom or habit that I want to snack. The truth is, it’s hard for me to avoid mindless snacking.
A while back I suggested to a friend that she write a list of things to do instead of snacking. My suggestion was to put a copy of the list on the refrigerator or pantry where she stores her snacks. The idea is to see the list, and do something on the list rather than eating.
I decided today to take my own advice, so here is the list I wrote for myself of 25 things to do instead of snacking.
- Read something enriching
- Read something fun
- Do 10 Push-ups
- Do 10 Sit-ups
- Take a brisk 10 minute walk
- Drink at least 16 ounces of water
- Brush your teeth
- Write an email or text to say hello to a friend
- Hand write a card to someone to say a special hello or thank you
- Play a short game on your phone or tablet
- Phone a friend – for strength, or just to say hello
- Clean or organize something
- Make a goofy list
- Drink some tea or coffee
- Sit quietly for 5 minutes and reflect
- Knit, crochet, edit a photo or do something else related to a hobby (Inspired by Mrs. Bobby-C)
- Start a load of laundry
- Fold a load of laundry
- Walk up and down the stairs 5 times
- Go out and do a neglected errand
- Find and read an inspirational blog
- Pull up your list of goals, and re-read it
- Write an entry in your journal or on your own blog
- Add to your list of things to do instead of snacking
What items would you add to my list, or put on a list of your own?